"Double clutching a bike" : Yamaha R6 Forum: R6MessageNet : YZF-R6 Forums

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Yamaha YZF R6 Prices
Go Back   R6Messagenet.com > Sportbike Operation > Riding Tips

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2005, 01:13 AM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Juke
Juke's Garage
Default "Double clutching a bike"

I am a noob and will be the first to admit it...i was wondering if similar to a car you want to rev match while downshifting? Because there is no neutral between gears other than 1 and 2, i was wondering if it is good or bad to pull the clutch and rev match when shifting from say 3rd to 2nd...feedback appreciated
Juke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2005, 01:58 AM   #2 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to wentouch Send a message via AIM to wentouch Send a message via Yahoo to wentouch
wentouch's Garage

welcome again!

depends on what purpose you are downshifting for. if you are accelerating, rev matching may help to synch the gears at the same rpm for a smoother and more rapid transition, but if you downshifting to slow down, the point is to use the nonsynch gears to lower the rpm by featheriing/ gradually releasing the clutch like in a car, thus rev matching is not necessary.

hope that helps.
Old 08-03-2005, 12:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
Chase

Send a message via ICQ to Chaseme
Chaseme's Garage

+1
there is no such thing as double clutching (as far as i know) in a motorcycle but there is blipping the throttle, same thing minus going into neutral. This is what is used often in motorcycle racing. And they go one step farther by downshifting and simultaniously brake and blip the throttle to go into a lower gear. Often times if you do not blip the throttle you will get the rear wheel to suddenly lock up. (loosing time or possibly loosing control)
Now there are types of clutches that do not need blipping the throttle, they are called sliper clutches.

We know its not all flowers and roses. Its a risk you take, its a calculated risk; and when you do the calculations the odds are in your favor. - Colin Edwards
Chaseme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 03:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
aka The O'Reilly Factor

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to SFR6 Send a message via AIM to SFR6
SFR6's Garage

Welcome to the board!

there is no such thing as double clutching on a motorcycle, except between the gears of second and first, but it wouldnt make sense to do it. double clutching is when you pull it out of gear and into neutral, blip the throttle with the clutch out, then put it in gear and dump the clutch. the only cars you would have to do this with is say a very old race car or a semi.
SFR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 09:26 PM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Kaffee
Kaffee's Garage

I'm surprised I'm the only one who does this. Yes, it helps you downshift very nicely into first instead of grinding or slamming it in. I don't know where the hell the few people here are getting info, but if you decide to coast in neutral with the clutch out at 50, you have to rev up in neutral before you clutch and put it back in 2nd, otherwise 2nd gear makes some ugly sounds.

Jugding by the way things sound, I don't think the bike has sychros, I don't think it can.

If anyone doesn't believe me about double clutching, try this...
At a stoplight rev up in neutral with the clutch out and clutch and drop it in first and notice the sound.
Then at the next stop light, hold the clutch in while in neutral for a while. When you put it in gear, it will go in very smooth or not at all (in which case you move the bike a foot forward).
If this example doesn't mean anything to you, look up how a transmission works at www.howstuffworks.com. They have some great articles and a little info on sequentials too.

Would someone explain the slipper clutch to me, it sounds like fun.

Last edited by Kaffee; 08-03-2005 at 09:28 PM.
Kaffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 09:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
aka The O'Reilly Factor

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to SFR6 Send a message via AIM to SFR6
SFR6's Garage

matching revs and double clutching are different. double clutching involves the blip while in neutral with the clutch disengaged before the shift. i match revs when i downshift, but i dont double clutch, and to be honest i doubt you do either. if you do, its just a pointless waste of time and work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaffee
If anyone doesn't believe me about double clutching, try this...
i think you're talking about synchros, not double clutching.
SFR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 11:21 PM   #7 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to k5r6
k5r6's Garage

^+1. Match the engine RPM to the wheel speed for smooth shifting.

I know that gas is getting stupid expensive these days, but I don't know why i'd coast my bike or truck in neutral from 50.
k5r6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 11:56 PM   #8 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Thrak
Thrak's Garage

SFR6 is right... blipping (or rev matching) isnt double-clutching... but, there is no need to double clutch on a motorcycle.

Kaffee, you arent double clutching, you're just revving the bike and slamming it into gear.

Slipper clutches are pointless for street riders.
Thrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 02:22 AM   #9 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Juke
Juke's Garage

I guess i was talking about "bliping", i know that there is no neutral between gears, i was simply refering to pulling the clutch and reving the engine before downshifting, thanks for the feedback...and please further explain the slipper clutch. Thanks.
Juke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 03:38 AM   #10 (permalink)
Noob

Send a message via Yahoo to Lord Death
Lord Death's Garage

The purpose of double clutching in cars/trucks is to get the transmission and engine matched to the engine rpm. The way to double clutch is to:
1 Disengage the clutch, put thetransmission in neutral
2 Engage the clutch rev the motor to get the motor and transmission matching the wheel speed
3 Disengage the clutch, put the transmission in the specified gear
4 Engage the clutch

Most light cars with small drive trains dont need the neutral step. You just simply push in the clutch and rev match then drop it into gear.

Double clutching on a bike is utterly pointless. You'd have to shift to neutral in order to double clutch, not to mention the transmission sprung inertia is next to nothing.

Matching the revs of the engine to the speed of the next lower gear is a very good thing. It keeps the bike stable as you downshift without rocking back and forth. It takes a lot of practice to master.

Slipper clutches slip when downshifting. If the wheels are going faster than the engine rpm the clutch slips so you dont have to rev match as precisely and keeps the bike more stable.

The biggest key is smoothness wich promotes stability, giving you better control on the street and on the racetrack.

1964 Vespa 90

2001 Grand Prix GT
SLP Headers | Custom CAI | Intense 1.9 Rockers | GMPP Sway Bars | 12" Command Rotors

2005 Raven R6
Intuitive Frame/Spool Sliders | Scorpio i500 Alarm | Custom Fender Eliminator
Lord Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement