Problem with my 2004 R6 : Yamaha R6 Forum: R6MessageNet : YZF-R6 Forums

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Yamaha YZF R6 Prices
Go Back   R6Messagenet.com > Yamaha YZF-R6 > R6 Warranty and PreMature Failure

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2004, 09:33 AM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to theretiredpimp Send a message via AIM to theretiredpimp Send a message via MSN to theretiredpimp Send a message via Yahoo to theretiredpimp
theretiredpimp's Garage
Default Problem with my 2004 R6

I purchased my R6 on June 23 and it has just over 1000 miles on it. About a week or so after I got it, I started noticing a strange noise. It sounds like a knocking/clicking. It's most noticeable at low speeds, for example when I'm coasting to a stop at a traffic light. What would happen is I would clutch in and rev the bike to maybe about 25k. That's when I hear the clicking/knocking sound. It happens mostly in 1st and second gear. What's bothering me even more is that sometimes I can't get the bike into neutral. I took it to the dealer last Friday and one of the techs just sat on it and rode it a few feet, then said the idle was too high. He adjusted it and said it was straight but since then it is noticeably worse. I've gotten a few opinions from some more experienced riders and a mechanic. Some say it feels like the engine is trying to grab even though the clutch is disengaged. I was also told that the clutch may just need to be adjusted. I know this guy who builds bikes for a living. He didn't ride it but said it sounds like I have a broken shift fork. Has this happened to anyone else? By the way, I'm taking my bike back to the dealer tomorrow and I will definitely act a fool cuz the service manager gave me a fuckin attitude last Friday. But there ain't no reason for a brand new bike to be having any problems. Can someone shed some light on this for me? Sorry for being so wordy.
theretiredpimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2004, 10:40 AM   #2 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to MattyZR6
MattyZR6's Garage

im not sure but it sounds like you just have the yamaha tick that everyone else flips out about when they get their bike and then realize it is totally normal. Hopefully this is your problem
MattyZR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 10:56 AM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to theretiredpimp Send a message via AIM to theretiredpimp Send a message via MSN to theretiredpimp Send a message via Yahoo to theretiredpimp
theretiredpimp's Garage

I know what you're talking about but that's not it. Two of my boys have the R6. One is a 2003 and the other is a 2004, exactly the same bike as mine, purchased 3 days later. I rode both of them and I know what you're talking about but the shit my bike is doing is much worse and louder. Their bikes don't do what mine does. So I think I seriously have a problem. I'll find out for sure tomorrow.
Old 07-11-2004, 07:27 PM   #4 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to aar0ncee Send a message via AIM to aar0ncee
aar0ncee's Garage

my bike ticks. but so does my friends, and my GFs lol.

edit

keep us posted
aar0ncee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 01:11 AM   #5 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to halcyon026 Send a message via AIM to halcyon026
halcyon026's Garage

well the bike is running normal is it not? my bike runs louder than my two friends 04's and i dont mean louder out the exhaust, i mean when i put my head next to the engine....

Have you switched to a synthetic oil yet? I think thats why mine is louder cause i have mobil 1 red cap in my bike. A light good flowing oil may cause these louder noises.

halcyon026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 04:09 AM   #6 (permalink)
Haha...he said Member...

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to R6StangDriver
R6StangDriver's Garage

I have an '03, and my ticking sound is becoming almost unbearable! Only happens between 3000-4000 rpm. Someone mentioned something about the cam chain tensioner. Anyone had a problem with this??
~Z~
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'God DAMN, What a ride!!!!!'"
R6StangDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 09:33 AM   #7 (permalink)
Captain Awesome

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to r6dink Send a message via AIM to r6dink
r6dink's Garage

you use 93 gasoline right?
r6dink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 11:10 AM   #8 (permalink)

theretiredpimp's Garage

I use 93 gasoline. I did the first oil change at just over 600 miles. I used Yamalube 4. I have to take the bike to the deal tomorrow. It's raining hard as hell out so couldn't do it today. I hope there's a simple solution to this. I know Yamahas make a lil ticking sound but mine is worse and I actually feel as though the bike is trying to go even when the clutch is all the way in. I'll post an update after my visit with the dealer tomorrow. Thanks for all the input.
Old 07-12-2004, 12:21 PM   #9 (permalink)
The Red Devil

Send a message via ICQ to Ozone_R6
Ozone_R6's Garage

Sounds like the lifters possibly. Or the Cam tensioner as mentioned. If its the lifters then eventually you have to get it fixed, but that would go across all the R6's, just like on the mazda Miata. (earlier models had a lifter problem)
Ozone_R6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 12:33 PM   #10 (permalink)

GERMANONEZ's Garage

Quote:
and I actually feel as though the bike is trying to go even when the clutch is all the way in
you might want to check the adjustment of your clutch, sounds like it's off...you might even get the clicking\knocking from that...
GERMANONEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement