Which Halogen H7 Bulb is best? : Yamaha R6 Forum: R6MessageNet : YZF-R6 Forums

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Yamaha YZF R6 Prices
Go Back   R6Messagenet.com > Yamaha YZF-R6 > R6 Modifications

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2005, 10:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
wish I had a honda

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to epiphone3
epiphone3's Garage
Default Which Halogen H7 Bulb is best?

Hey guys... I have heard people that love Sylvania Silverstars, PIAA, or Phillips Vision Plus bulbs the best... what do you think? I am looking for a good, BRIGHT headlight that will allow me to see better at night. Feel free to include pictures! Thanks guys!
epiphone3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2005, 12:08 AM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Jagermeister03
Jagermeister03's Garage

maybe its just me but i think my stock 04 ones are pretty bright .....now they are no HIDs; but i have rode an 04 R6 with silverstars and could not tell a noticble difference. the only difference i could tell was looking at them....they looked cleaner and whiter. now maybe it was my experience but i dont justify the money for silverstars over stock. just my

Hunter
Old 08-30-2005, 01:53 AM   #3 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 15 reviews
sparky's Garage

i had the PIAA Xtreme white plus bulbs on my R6 (rated at 4000k... model #17655) and they both burnt out within 4 months and i couldnt justify spending another $70 or so if they are only gonna last that long.

i now have the Sylvania Silverstars which are also rated at 4000k, but the PIAA's were a little bit brighter. the stock bulbs are decent but are kinda yellow compared to a better bulb like the other two. if money isnt an issue for ya... then the PIAA's would be the obvious choice... but the silverstars arent shabby by any means either.
Old 08-30-2005, 10:49 AM   #4 (permalink)
wish I had a honda

epiphone3's Garage

This info is definately helping! Thanks guys!
Old 08-30-2005, 06:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
Shameless Rossifumi

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to MackeR6
MackeR6's Garage

I've heard lots of people mention that their PIAA's and Silverstars have burnt out very quickly. I know for a fact that the Silverstar overdrives it's filament in order to keep the same light-output thru the tint that they have - which reduces the life of the filament.

I use the Philips Vision Plus and noticed the extra light it put down on the road at night, not as "white-looking" as other bulbs tho.

When you do your research just make sure to keep your terms clear. There's light output (measured in lumens) and then there's light color/brightness (measured in k). These terms often get clumped together under "brightness". A higher 'k' value for a bulb just means it's going to look whiter - it doesn't mean shit about how much light the bulb produces. That particular bulb may actually produce less actual light output (lumens) then ur stock bulbs. You need to figure out what you're looking for in a bulb - more performance (more lumens) or better appearance (higher k value) or find a happy medium that suits ur desires.
- 01-02 Undertail Conversion
- CA Integrated Tailight
- Sportech Blue Chrome Windscreen
- 15/48 520 Conversion
- Toby Steering Damper
- Vortex Frame Sliders
- GYT-R CF Heel Guards/Fairing Accents
- DynoJet Stage 1 Jet Kit
- GYT-R Solo Seat Cowl
MackeR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 06:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
wish I had a honda

epiphone3's Garage

definately want the most lumens first! If I get better appearance as a bonus, well, Bonus!
Old 08-30-2005, 07:18 PM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to JayB
JayB's Garage

I was looking around trying to find the same information you were epiphone, and came across a group buy that was done here for the Philips VisionPlus bulbs. From reading the thread, I found that most were very happy with the results (espeically since it was a $26 upgrade!) I subsuquently got in contact with www.autolamps-online.com and asked if the price incentive was still available to R6MN members. The reply I got was quick, and indeed it is true that we can still get them. I just got done ordering a pair for myself. Here's the link to the group buy thread...

http://www.r6messagenet.com/forums/...ead.php?t=38580

If you have any questions, I'd be happy to help you out in getting a set.
JayB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 08:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
wish I had a honda

epiphone3's Garage

hey JayB... I sent you a PM so let me know if you get it/what you think.
Old 08-30-2005, 10:20 PM   #9 (permalink)
Powder Coating Man

Send a message via AIM to NewbR6
NewbR6's Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MackeR6
I've heard lots of people mention that their PIAA's and Silverstars have burnt out very quickly. I know for a fact that the Silverstar overdrives it's filament in order to keep the same light-output thru the tint that they have - which reduces the life of the filament.

I use the Philips Vision Plus and noticed the extra light it put down on the road at night, not as "white-looking" as other bulbs tho.

When you do your research just make sure to keep your terms clear. There's light output (measured in lumens) and then there's light color/brightness (measured in k). These terms often get clumped together under "brightness". A higher 'k' value for a bulb just means it's going to look whiter - it doesn't mean shit about how much light the bulb produces. That particular bulb may actually produce less actual light output (lumens) then ur stock bulbs. You need to figure out what you're looking for in a bulb - more performance (more lumens) or better appearance (higher k value) or find a happy medium that suits ur desires.
The higher the K value actual doesn't mean whiter. It goes from low K's being a yellow tint, to about 4000K being the "whitest" then turns to purple then followed by blue at around 8000K. So depending on the color tint you want the light, white or blue determines how high of a K value to get. The brightest values are around the 4000-6000 K values, once you get to the 8000's you lose brightness for color.

-Sean Connery

-05 BLACK R6
-02 Yellow Monte Carlo

Need something Powder Coated shoot me a PM
NewbR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 02:47 AM   #10 (permalink)
I go 60km/h nia

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to thwwx Send a message via MSN to thwwx
thwwx's Garage

VisionPlus The R6 with the single beam isn't putting out enough light for night time riding. Switching on the highbeam drains the batt as the 03+ alternator isn't putting out enough juice at high engine loads. Phillips VP has made a significant improvement for me.
thwwx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement