Slip-on exhaust vs. full exhaust sound : Yamaha R6 Forum: R6MessageNet : YZF-R6 Forums

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Yamaha YZF R6 Prices
Go Back   R6Messagenet.com > Yamaha YZF-R6 > R6 Modifications

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2008, 09:40 AM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
08R6YW's Garage
Default Slip-on exhaust vs. full exhaust sound

Has anyone heard the difference between having only a slip-on vs. having a full exhaust setup? I am not looking for much in HP gains because I feel my R6 is plenty fast for the streets and dont care for HP as much as sound. And the cost difference is so huge that I would rather get a slip-on and get some better sound but if the sound is so different between the two I may consider the full exhaust.

I always hear bikes riding around from like a mile away and I love that sound and mine is just too quiet (stock 08 R6). ANy suggestions on manufacturers to go with?
2008 R6 Yellow/Black - Puig dark smoke windshield, Lite Eyes Dual 6000K HID kit, LED flush mount turn signals, new signal relay, license plate relocation bracket, CustomDynamics LED license plate screws, CustomDynamics tailight integrator, speedohealer V4, CF R6 tank pad, power commander III, full race leo vince exhaust CF.
08R6YW is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2008, 01:55 PM   #2 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
AwsmGy's Garage

If you are purely looking for a sound improvement then get a slip on of your choice along with a new midpipe.
AwsmGy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 09:49 AM   #3 (permalink)

08R6YW's Garage

After searching around I found some slip-ons to cost up to $500 and some a little more while full exhaust systems start at $750+ so... what is a good slip on and what is a good full exhaust because of the price difference is not that much I will get thefull exhaust to get all the benefits...
2008 R6 Yellow/Black - Puig dark smoke windshield, Lite Eyes Dual 6000K HID kit, LED flush mount turn signals, new signal relay, license plate relocation bracket, CustomDynamics LED license plate screws, CustomDynamics tailight integrator, speedohealer V4, CF R6 tank pad, power commander III, full race leo vince exhaust CF.
Old 08-23-2008, 04:54 PM   #4 (permalink)

AwsmGy's Garage

It really comes down to personal preference. Most people get a yoshi slip on and call it a day. A good full exhaust system usually ends up costing a little less than double that of a good slip on of the same brand. Companies that I personally like are yoshi, leo vince, and gytr; but there's plenty of others too.
AwsmGy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 04:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
BlueBeast

Jamez's Garage

It's like AwsmGy said, it's all in the midpipe. That will make the most diff. Yoshi's R&D is funded by Suzuki. Don't get me wrong, it's a good brand but better for a GSXR than an R6. Akrapovik tends to be used the most because of it's sound, performance and looks. You can get a custom r6 t-tuner (midpipe) for about $150. I know u said that it didn't matter but you will gain up to 20hp from the t-tuner and a huge diff in sound too.
Jamez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 06:05 PM   #6 (permalink)

buddahson's Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamez View Post
It's like AwsmGy said, it's all in the midpipe. That will make the most diff. Yoshi's R&D is funded by Suzuki. Don't get me wrong, it's a good brand but better for a GSXR than an R6. Akrapovik tends to be used the most because of it's sound, performance and looks. You can get a custom r6 t-tuner (midpipe) for about $150. I know u said that it didn't matter but you will gain up to 20hp from the t-tuner and a huge diff in sound too.
Most of Jamez's information is correct, however I thought I should point out that you will not get anywhere near 20hp from upgrading your exhaust. Even with a high end full exhaust, PCIII, and upgraded air filter you would be lucky to get 15hp. To get a major difference in sound you are going to need to go with a full system or at least a different mid pipe. On a stock 06+ R6 the part of the exhaust that a slip on replaces does not do much to the sound.
buddahson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 06:35 PM   #7 (permalink)

08R6YW's Garage

Can someone show me where I can purchase a T-Tuner Midpipe? I searched google but all I get are videos and various forum posts of people saying they installed it. Cannot find a place to buy one.

Will this midpipe cause any problems with passing emissions/inspections? Based on various posts I have read I will go with a T-tuner midpipe (if i ever find one) and a slip-on exhaust and call it a day.
Old 08-24-2008, 07:06 PM   #8 (permalink)
black 07

Send a message via AIM to tekniqz
tekniqz's Garage

here you go.. was interested about the midpipe also so i went on searching .. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/YAMAH...mZ140260413638
Old 08-24-2008, 07:10 PM   #9 (permalink)
black 07

Send a message via AIM to tekniqz
tekniqz's Garage

question ..so is this t tuner midpipe compatible with jmsperformance headers ..it says that it is compatible with any slip on. from reading this thread it got me interested in the midpipe for its sound.. but am also thinking getting jmsperformance headers wen i get the cash... anyone kno any info...
Old 08-24-2008, 08:38 PM   #10 (permalink)

Mybikeandyourgirl's Garage

Its one or the other, you cant get the MJS Header and a midpipe, you get the MJS header with the mid pipe welded on or you weld a t tuner to your stock header, and trust me that is ALOT or work to do. Get the MJS header I have it along with about 1000 other people on here.
Mybikeandyourgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement