R1 swing arm swap : Yamaha R6 Forum: R6MessageNet : YZF-R6 Forums

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Yamaha YZF R6 Prices
Go Back   R6Messagenet.com > Yamaha YZF-R6 > R6 Modifications

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2008, 12:01 AM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
JLAudio11's Garage
Default R1 swing arm swap

Ok, i'm trying to find information on swapping a 98-03 R1 swing arm to my 99 R6. The reason for this mod: I bracket drag race my R6 and want a longer wheel base. I also think that a stock swing arm would look better than extensions or an extended arm. I want the longer wheel base to get harder and more consistent launches. Now before all the flaming, I'm not a squid and I know the R6 isn't a great drag bike, an R1, ZX10, GSXR1k, or busa would be better and i'm looking into to one of those but the funds aren't there yet so i'm working with what i've got. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
frame pcoated black, rims pcoated blue,stretched 6",wet n2o,full Yosh, toby dampener, 15/52 530 conv,SS lines, woodcraft rear sets, penske rear shock, factory velocity stacks, taillight integrator, flush mounts, and some other stuff
PERFORMANCE CYCLE 2 Racing
JLAudio11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2008, 02:54 AM   #2 (permalink)
Garage Queen R6

Feedback Score: 24 reviews
powerban's Garage

are you sure swapping the R1 swingarm will lengthen the wheelbase? even if it does, it will not lengthen enough for drag racing purposes. You're better off with extensions and a longer chain and bigger rear sprocket.
powerban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 09:14 AM   #3 (permalink)
Eli, please ban winter

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
albinohickey's Garage

Just so you know the 98-01 R1 swing arms are different than 02-03 swingarms. And just because it's an R1 swing arm does not mean it will be longer. Plus I'm thinking it wont fit at all. You have things like shock linkages, wheel sizes, then sprockets, brakes, etc. to think about.
Old 01-29-2008, 03:07 PM   #4 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Chrisbr
Chrisbr's Garage

Im almost positive theyre not any longer but im fairily sure they fit. If you really want to get a good idea if they do go to flatout's website and compare part numbers. the 01-03 arms are about the same design, but may be a little stronger just because of the manufacturing process, like welds and such. Buy it and let us know if it fits. its the only way anyone's going to know for sure.
Chrisbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 09:54 PM   #5 (permalink)

JLAudio11's Garage

The R1 is naturally a little bit larger bike, this is why i assumed it would be longer. I've also read little bits here and there that certain years do fit on the R6. The big questions are which year and how much longer is it? Yes i've already thought about everything that could possibly be needed to with it. That's why i'm posting on here to see if anyone else knows of a way before i make the way.
frame pcoated black, rims pcoated blue,stretched 6",wet n2o,full Yosh, toby dampener, 15/52 530 conv,SS lines, woodcraft rear sets, penske rear shock, factory velocity stacks, taillight integrator, flush mounts, and some other stuff
Old 01-30-2008, 03:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
Wat up DAWG!!!

Send a message via AIM to bballman01
bballman01's Garage

well the 08 bikes are only 3.8cm different i doubt the slightly older bikes are much different
Old 01-30-2008, 06:43 PM   #7 (permalink)

JLAudio11's Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballman01 View Post
well the 08 bikes are only 3.8cm different i doubt the slightly older bikes are much different
Are you talking total overall length or just the swing arm? What are you comparing that figure to?
Old 01-30-2008, 10:49 PM   #8 (permalink)
Garage Queen R6

Feedback Score: 24 reviews
powerban's Garage

you can swap on the 03-05 swingarm and gain about 1cm of length. Again, no stock swingarm swap is ideal for drag racing purposes. Go with extensions, lower the bike, and be done with it.
powerban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 05:41 AM   #9 (permalink)
Wat up DAWG!!!

Send a message via AIM to bballman01
bballman01's Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLAudio11 View Post
Are you talking total overall length or just the swing arm? What are you comparing that figure to?
comparing the 08 r6 and the 08 r1 wheelbase
Old 01-31-2008, 09:30 AM   #10 (permalink)
Eli, please ban winter

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
albinohickey's Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisbr View Post
the 01-03 arms are about the same design, but may be a little stronger just because of the manufacturing process, like welds and such.
For what the R1 or R6? In both cases that is not true.

I'd say since you have a first gen r6 the best bet would be a first gen r1. 98-01. Still you're not going to get that much more length, probably just a bigger swingarm. If you'd like I'll measure how long the swingarm is on my 99 R1 tonight, then you measure yours and tada, you'll know.