My Rear Tire Was Installed BACKWARDS!!! PICS : Yamaha R6 Forum: R6MessageNet : YZF-R6 Forums

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Yamaha YZF R6 Prices
Go Back   R6Messagenet.com > Yamaha YZF-R6 > R6 Maintenance & Technical

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2004, 02:51 AM   #1 (permalink)
Gouki
R6Messagenet Guest

Gouki's Garage
Default My Rear Tire Was Installed BACKWARDS!!! PICS

I got a set of 208s twenty days ago, and this morning when I was adjusting my chain slack, I looked at the rear tire and noticed it looked somehow different, upon close inspection, I realized the arrow on the sidewall is pointing towards the back! (against forward rotation)

My Rear Tire was incorrectly installed. Now, I kinda already broke in the tire. It was my mistake for assuming the shop (Powersports of Ft. Ld. now called Motorsports of Ft. Ld.) would put it right, I should have checked the bike over, but I was pissed off because when I went to pick it up, they had a fooking waverunner leaning/touching the rear cowling and scratched the area above the rear brake lights.

Now my question is, should I go back there and raise hell?, or is it ok to ride like that until the tire wears out? I assume they don't put that arrow there for nothing, maybe the thread pattern or construction of the tire was engineered to rotate that way or something.

Check your tires and don't assume anything when somebody else works on your bike...

UPDATE:
I called them and I will swing by there on Wed. They remember me because I did make them touch up my scratches and buff them out on the spot. The scratches were taken care of the same day.

JumperAlex is right, the patterns DO look opposite between front and back, of course on this picture, my tire is backwards so it matches

The front is installed correctly, the thread pattern does look wrong, but according to Alex that's the way they are supposed to be...

And here's the rear close up, the tire only has 600 miles on it so far, and I've only been to 105mph twice, most of my running around has been at speeds of 80mph, I'll try to push for a new tire, we'll see how that goes... I'll let you know.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2004, 02:54 AM   #2 (permalink)
vinnieR6
R6Messagenet Guest

vinnieR6's Garage
Default Re: My Rear Tire Was Installed BACKWARDS!!!

take it back and have them put it on correctly and i would make them compensate you for your time and trouble...that tire is designed to go one direction, it is possible that over time, the tire could come apart due to it going in the wrong direction....
Old 04-26-2004, 02:55 AM   #3 (permalink)
erok81
R6Messagenet Guest

erok81's Garage

Uhh....not only would I make them either give me a new rear tire or at least change it around, but also make them pay for the scratches you got while there.

Another reason I am glad I do my own work.:cuss
Old 04-26-2004, 08:43 AM   #4 (permalink)
DexterMurphy
R6Messagenet Guest

DexterMurphy's Garage

Fuck man, that is a horrible story. I'd make sure you get a BRAND NEW tire, installed correctly, and the paint fixed. You don't pay them the labor rates to be lazy and send you off worse than you arrived. Bad form on their part.
Old 04-26-2004, 02:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
dmanyzf600r6
R6Messagenet Guest

dmanyzf600r6's Garage

Dam chris that sucks, I would go in there and start slappin people. Most definitely make them put on a new tire (the right way) hard to say if any damage has been done to it being installed backwards. and talk to them about the scratches. After you slap them around of course.
Old 04-26-2004, 03:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
travr6
R6Messagenet Guest

travr6's Garage

How the fuck can you put a tire on backwards? The tire has a big ARROW and the wheel has a big ARROW. All you have to do is look. And a shop for to do it just wrong. they of all people should know a tire only goes on one way.

Brand new tire and fix the paint. Although you probly can't prove the paint now. you should have done that when you saw it.
Old 04-26-2004, 03:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
flor6ida
R6Messagenet Guest

flor6ida's Garage

That sucks, man.
I don't know how someone could screw up that badly,
but (and don't take this the wrong way) it's up to you to ensure the work is done correctly.
I do all of my business with that shop, haven't had a problem.
After getting a new set of M1s put on the other day, the first thing I did was check the rotation direction.
After 20 days, I don't know what kind of compensation you are due, certainly something.
Good Luck.
Let us know what happens.
Old 04-26-2004, 03:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
[Something Pithy Here]

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to Jumperalex Send a message via AIM to Jumperalex
Jumperalex's Garage

Actually it just doesn't matter. I run my 208's backwards ALL the time on the track because I flip them to even out tire wear.

As for the tread pattern that is now reversed that was a question too. If you notice with the tire spinning the "correct way" the tread patterns appears to be backwards from the front. but it wasn't ALWAYS like that. It used to be the other way around; ie the way yours is sitting right now.

Apparently Dunlop found that it DID work better doing this "backwards" way and so reversed their tread pattern. But it still worked the other way well enough for them to have made tires like that for a while.

Following??? Point is from a tread and rain perspective on the dunlop 208's it doesn't matter according to the folks at Sport Tire Services (West coast dunlop distributors) which way the tread goes. This had come up specifically because it looked like the arrow on the sidewall and the tread on the rear tire (compared to the front) were going in opposite directions.

Anyway realistically it doesn't matter. Practically I would be pissed that they did it wrong in the first place and would feel even more inclined to stick it to them given what they did with that waverunner.

So show up there with the wheel (better to remove it yourself rather than let them fuck up your bike more) and tell them it is on backwards and you want it flipped for free and maybe a little something for your time and agrivation. Though you still might want to bring the bike to punctuate your desire for something in return based on the damage to your bike. Though frankly you never should have left the shop without getting that taken care of and they are now going to claim that you did it after you left the shop; so be ready for that.
Jumperalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 05:19 PM   #9 (permalink)
R6Richard
R6Messagenet Guest

R6Richard's Garage

I recommend taking the whole bike in as it is: if you take off the wheel the idiot at the shop will be even more likely to think you did something with the tire yourself.
J-lex: why is it that car tires aren't supposed to have their direction reversed? Methinks it also applies to (radial, anyway) bike tires and you just haven't noticed a problem (...yet).
I'm inclined to think that the shop should provide a new tire.
Old 04-26-2004, 07:16 PM   #10 (permalink)
[Something Pithy Here]

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to Jumperalex Send a message via AIM to Jumperalex
Jumperalex's Garage

you can argue for a new tire but you will never get it, and I would agree. NO damage as been done to that tire AT ALL and I will stand by that till the end of my days. I have raced, at full pace, on tires mounted backwards with no problems. As for me not noticing ... well I consdier well over 20 rear tires run backwards, some of them past the wear bars, a pretty good sample set [shrug].

The reason car tires can't be mounted backwards is because in the rain you WILL hydro-plane. It is a trad issue of not pumping the water out of the way.

On some bike tires you WILL hydro-plane as well because of the tread design. But from everything I have read / people I have talked to who work for dunlop, the tire pretty much works 95% as good in the wet going "backwards" as it does forwards.

Like I said they used to run the tread in that direction for a while till they realized it did work better going the other way. Compare the rear to the front and you will see that the tread patterns are the same only reversed. But these guys have told me on more than on occasion that their tires can absolutely be run backwards in the dry. And they have a motivation for me to NOT flip tires; aka they would rather I just buy a new one.

As for construction on car tires and maybe some other bike tires it is possible that there would be problems with running it backwards but not in the case of a 208. And with as few miles as he has put on, I REALLY doubt even other tires could be a problem. But hey you could always write a letter to the manufacturer asking them for their opinion and if they say it should be replaced than that is ALL you need to prove to the shop. If they refused and the tire fails they put themselves in a liability situation. And if the tire manufactuere says it is ok you can bet your ASS it is cause THEY aren't going to let themselves be liable if it blows up.
Jumperalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement