what octane fuel do you run in your 6? - Page 2 : Yamaha R6 Forum: R6MessageNet : YZF-R6 Forums

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Yamaha YZF R6 Prices
Go Back   R6Messagenet.com > Yamaha YZF-R6 > R6 Maintenance & Technical

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2004, 10:54 AM   #11 (permalink)
The broccoli must Die!

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to TimR6Rocstarz
TimR6Rocstarz's Garage

with a 12.4:1 compression ratio im gonna stick to 91 and up...

Old 11-17-2004, 11:16 AM   #12 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
starsky21's Garage

Diff year? diff gass???? i don't know ...you're both reading the manual....

I always put the hightest...what's 20 cents out of 3 gallons.... .60 cents...that's my
starsky21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 11:25 AM   #13 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to ngng Send a message via AIM to ngng
ngng's Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by starsky21
Diff year? diff gass???? i don't know ...you're both reading the manual....

I always put the hightest...what's 20 cents out of 3 gallons.... .60 cents...that's my
yup, diff years.

i think i'll just put regular in now. it's not the money, hell, like i said, costs 8$ to fill up :o

but here is some interesting info:

Quote:
All Porsche engines are designed for premium, too, but it's not available everywhere. "Our cars must be able to drive all over the world, and so we are able to run on regular," says Jakob Neusser, director of powertrain development at Porsche's research and development center in Weissach, Germany. "You don't have to feel that a mechanical problem or anything else will happen" using regular gas, even in the highest-performance, regular-production Porsches.

Premium, in fact, sometimes is worse fuel than regular. It resists knock because it's harder to ignite than lower-octane fuels. As a result, some engines won't start as quickly or run as smoothly on premium, notes Gibbs, the SAE fuel expert.

High-test does have a potential fuel economy benefit. It is slightly denser than lower-octane gas, meaning there's a little more energy in a gallon. But the small difference is hard to measure in real-world use, and that same density can contribute to undesirable buildup of waste products inside the engine.

No data show that engines designed strictly for regular run better or longer on premium.

The Federal Trade Commission, in a consumer notice, emphasizes: "(I)n most cases, using a higher-octane gasoline than your owner's manual recommends offers absolutely no benefit. It won't make your car perform better, go faster, get better mileage or run cleaner."

There is "no way of taking advantage of premium in a regular-grade car," says Furey.

"There is no gain. You're wasting money," insists Jim Blenkarn, in charge of powertrains at Nissan in the USA.

"No customer should ever be deluded into thinking there's any value in buying a higher grade of octane than we specify," says Toyota's Paul Williamsen, technical expert and trainer.
WMRRA #119
03 Graves R6
ngng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 11:28 AM   #14 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
FLscurfR6's Garage

My 04 says premium fuel only right in the gas tank. In FL premium is 93 octane so thats all I 've ever put in it.
FLscurfR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 12:02 PM   #15 (permalink)
The broccoli must Die!

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to TimR6Rocstarz
TimR6Rocstarz's Garage

fi bikes should get 91 and up..
Old 11-17-2004, 12:20 PM   #16 (permalink)
Jimmie cracked corn

vinnier6's Garage

do you really think it matters...pump gas is pump gas...a few octane points isnt going to make much of a difference if any at all...i always put super unleaded no matter what the octane is, but i guarantee you if you were to use 87 you wouldnt beable to tell the difference...
vinnier6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 12:32 PM   #17 (permalink)
Waiting for track time...

Send a message via ICQ to 6_Myles
6_Myles's Garage

03-04 - Fuel-Injection is designed for 92+ octane. Run that and only that, the engine is designed for it.
99-02 - Carb's designed for 87 octane. Run that or any octane rating higher.

Personally, I run 87 in my 2k2 FZ1 all year round. Lower octane fuel makes your engine burn hotter while higher octane burns cooler. I have some friends that run 92+ in the summer (to burn cooler) and 87 in the winter (to burn hotter). I say use the least octane that is recommended and to then quote from another board..."ride more, worry less."

2k6 Triumph Sprint/2k7 KTM Superduke (Street), 2k2 R6 (Trizzity Track), 93 F250 Diesel (Hauler)
6_Myles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 12:57 PM   #18 (permalink)
tread lightly

RageAgainstTheMinivan's Garage

Octane prevents knocking, it hardly affects performance. If your bike calls for premium and you fill up on regular, there is the chance of knocking which can lead to engine failure. Chances of doing that are slim. Just be safe and fuel up with what the manual calls for your bike.

I work at a small airport and I was thinking of "borrowing" a tank full of 100LL avgas, never did though. I guess a couple other guys that worked there filled up their older cruiser bikes on it. It might hurt the valves on my bike even though its "low lead" it still has a really high lead content. I'll just stick with pump gas.
RageAgainstTheMinivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 01:10 PM   #19 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to ngng Send a message via AIM to ngng
ngng's Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RageAgainstTheMinivan
Octane prevents knocking, it hardly affects performance. If your bike calls for premium and you fill up on regular, there is the chance of knocking which can lead to engine failure. Chances of doing that are slim. Just be safe and fuel up with what the manual calls for your bike.

I work at a small airport and I was thinking of "borrowing" a tank full of 100LL avgas, never did though. I guess a couple other guys that worked there filled up their older cruiser bikes on it. It might hurt the valves on my bike even though its "low lead" it still has a really high lead content. I'll just stick with pump gas.
I like that quote, "ride more, worry less."

As for knocking, yes it prevents knocking, but if you read above running less that premium won't cause any problems, hell even the engineers at Porsche said it was fine.
WMRRA #119
03 Graves R6
ngng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 01:26 PM   #20 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to sshaikh01
sshaikh01's Garage

The fuel i run
sshaikh01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement