Ignition coil stick problem? - R6Messagenet.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-27-2004, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Ignition coil stick problem?

I got a '02 that I'm doing some maintenance on, and while I was pulling off a coil stick cap, I noticed white powder in my fingers that looked like it came off the coil itself. I wiped it off the cap and found no other obvious marks, like grey spots on the cap. Is it time to replace? Will a resistance measurement confirm a failing coil stick? There any other ways to verify if it's good or ready to fail? Thanx for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-27-2004, 07:01 PM
Self Proclaimed Genius

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ochlocracy Send a message via MSN to ochlocracy Send a message via Yahoo to ochlocracy Send a message via Skype™ to ochlocracy
Well how does the bike run?

The resistance test can sometimes give you a false positive.

The water test is a sure way of knowing it is bad, but you have to wait for it to go.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-28-2004, 12:10 PM Thread Starter

The only complaint I have about it's running is that sometimes when I start it when cold, it runs a little rough, like on 3 cylinders. The rough running only lasts for about a minute then goes away. I suspect that symptom could be caused by when I cleaned the carbs last tune up, I also changed the float level slightly on one carb. It is getting new plugs, and I read in Roadracing World about R6 coil sticks shorting out on Melissa's race bike, so I thought I'd take a look.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-28-2004, 12:43 PM
Self Proclaimed Genius

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ochlocracy Send a message via MSN to ochlocracy Send a message via Yahoo to ochlocracy Send a message via Skype™ to ochlocracy
Yeah it could be a coil, thats it how they act sometimes, when they heat up the metal inside expands and eventually makes a connection.

Spray some water on the headers when you first start it, see if you can locate the exact one.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-30-2004, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

Well I do know that it's the #2 cyl that had the chalky white stuff on it's cap. I guess I'm looking ffor some reassurance that if I go out and buy a replacement for that coil stick, that they can last an additional 20K miles that way. I'm sure they aren't cheap, and my wife just quit her job. So I don't want to just go out and blow dough.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the R6Messagenet.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.