R6 Message Net banner

Bike turning over---but not starting

29K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  joels 
#1 ·
i have an 03 r6

It started fine at home, I went to fill her up, and afterwards, it refused to start.

Had to push her back home...not too far.

I notice that the fuel pump is coming on, and the engine turns over. But it just doesn't fire.

She's always been a quick starter. Needs just a crank to get her going.

From the way the engine turns over, I am pretty sure the battery is fine.

Any ideas anyone??

I live in India, and the nearest service centre for her is in Singapore...a few thousand miles away!

So I need your help. :sick

#2 ·
Are you 100% sure that your battery is fully charged? even if you are you should charge it. Batteries will cause some weird things, and it would suck to tear apart yur bike only to find out it was the battery the whole time. trust me its happened before.

If the battery is fully charged. You need Compression, spark, and fuel. You are obviosly missing one of the above. You say that the fuel pump primes, then i would next check for spark. reomove one of the plugs, and with the coil still attached, touch the threads of the plug to the engine block and see if they spark.

Maybe others will have some better advice.

Have you tried to bump start it?

#3 ·
Try push starting her, if it's your battery this will fire her up with no problem. I'm sure you know how to push start but just in case.

Put your bike in N and turn your key to the on position.
Have one of your buddies push you down the rode on the bike, once you get to about 10MPH have your buddy stop and then ram it into first. Make sure you sit down on the seat inorder to provide extra weight so you rear tire just doesn't skid.

If the bike still doesn't start then, it's not your battery and you have a different problem.

#4 ·
r69ing said:
Try push starting her, if it's your battery this will fire her up with no problem. I'm sure you know how to push start but just in case.

Put your bike in N and turn your key to the on position.
Have one of your buddies push you down the rode on the bike, once you get to about 10MPH have your buddy stop and then ram it into first. Make sure you sit down on the seat inorder to provide extra weight so you rear tire just doesn't skid.

If the bike still doesn't start then, it's not your battery and you have a different problem.

Actually it's a lot easier to do it in second. I can push mine down the road holding the clutch and when it says 10mph I dump the clutch and jump on. Not for the non-graceful but great for when you're alone and can't get a hand.

#5 ·
Cever said:
Actually it's a lot easier to do it in second. I can push mine down the road holding the clutch and when it says 10mph I dump the clutch and jump on. Not for the non-graceful but great for when you're alone and can't get a hand.

I've also had to push start myself by running down the rode and hopping on and poping it into gear, but beware you better have good balance cause if you don't jump on right it can be very embarrsing moment in your life when you and your bike fall!

I've never poped it into second on a push start but I'll try it the next time I have bad luck and I have to resort to good ole flintstone power igition :)

#6 ·
Worked just fine for me. I had a bad problem with leaving my key on when I was working on the mods I have. In first the back would just slide in first so I did it in second and it was so much easier. Just don't do what my friend did. He had the throttle back just a lil bit so when he dumped the clutch and it started the bike took off...I didn't laugh until later on, but it was some funny shit since it's a trashed out GSX-r anyway. Just glad no one was hurt by the riderless bike going about 100 yards down the road.

#7 ·
starting

Check your key/ignition is on properly.... I noticed mine can be turned, it looks like everything comes on, but it won't start, starter is going ok, but no juice/crank....

Turn off, turn on again (making sure key is fully turned) and hey presto!

It happened to me and I felt a bit dumb....just checking....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.