Bad ecu/cdi???? or tip over sensor : Yamaha R6 Forum: R6MessageNet : YZF-R6 Forums

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Yamaha YZF R6 Prices
Go Back   R6Messagenet.com > Yamaha YZF-R6 > R6 Maintenance & Technical

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2004, 11:55 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 600f3rider
600f3rider's Garage
Default Bad ecu/cdi???? or tip over sensor

How can you tell if the computer is bad on a bike. I have a bike that was in an accident. I can get into diagnostic mode. Everything looks ok. I have spark, and the fuel pump works if you by pass the computer. Only error code that shows up is the tip over senor code. Tip over sensor shows the right number for being up right though. Go to crank. Turn on the bike, and no whir happens from the pump. Go to start the engine trouble light blinks and bike doesnt start?

Oh, btw the battery was removed for quit sometime if this makes any difference.

Anybody go any thoughts? Maybe try swaping the cdi unit with a buddies and see what happens? I'm stumped.

http://www.claytoncramer.com/gundefe...g/blogger.html

News storys that will never make national coverage.

Last edited by 600f3rider; 10-12-2004 at 11:59 PM.
600f3rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2004, 12:07 AM   #2 (permalink)
Self Proclaimed Genius

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ochlocracy Send a message via MSN to ochlocracy Send a message via Yahoo to ochlocracy Send a message via Skype™ to ochlocracy
ochlocracy's Garage

Is it turning over when you push the starter?

Last edited by ochlocracy; 10-13-2004 at 12:21 AM. Reason: Grammar
ochlocracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 12:14 AM   #3 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Ronin_R6 Send a message via Yahoo to Ronin_R6
Ronin_R6's Garage

Once you trip the tip over senson, dont you have to clear the code before it will start.

That said if you cant get into diagostic mode youre screwed.
Ronin_R6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 12:42 AM   #4 (permalink)

600f3rider's Garage

Yep it cranks away. Thats how i know i have spark.

Theoretically the tip over sensor is supposed to reset its self when you turn the key off and turn it back on. The voltage checks out for being up right(dia. mode). However, i did try to clear the error code (and its just the tip over code showing up) and i couldn't, even though the volts check out.

I can get into dia. mode just fine.

I wouldn't fook anything up in by buddies would i, if i put my cdi in his bike two see what happened?

Old 10-13-2004, 12:50 AM   #5 (permalink)
Self Proclaimed Genius

Send a message via AIM to ochlocracy Send a message via MSN to ochlocracy Send a message via Yahoo to ochlocracy Send a message via Skype™ to ochlocracy
ochlocracy's Garage

Well I highly doubt it is the CDI, since you are getting the tip over code then something in the tip over sensor isn't set correct.

Sorry I didn’t put this together earlier…

Remove the tip over sensor and check it out. When the sensor is tripped it may just bridge a connection not allowing the bike to run. Therefore possibly just unplugging it (so no bridge is made) might clear the code and allow the bike to start. You may want to look over the wiring diagram to confirm this.
Old 10-13-2004, 01:08 AM   #6 (permalink)

600f3rider's Garage

Well here is the deal though. The way i understand it is the cdi keeps track of the codes that error until it is cleared not nessicarly what is going on now. If i look at error codes that have come up there is only 1. The tipover. So i go to the tipover diagnostic mode part. It reads normal voltage for being upright, though i suppose there could be some damage to it, like it is upright but hasn't switch over to let the power through. I mean could it indicate uprightness but still not work?

Right now in diagnostic mode the computer is saying the tip oversensor is what it should be at.

I hate electricity. The dealer i called says they dont make a diagnostic tools to check the cdi's. I mean i dont think the wires are fooked up?????????

Old 10-13-2004, 04:01 AM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to r62envy Send a message via AIM to r62envy
r62envy's Garage

Well, Try disconnecting the battery for 5 minutes, then hook it back up to clear the code off the ECU. That code could be impeding the fuel pump from kicking on, eventhough the sensor is showing correct voltage now (that its upright )

Kev
r62envy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 08:11 AM   #8 (permalink)
Self Proclaimed Genius

ochlocracy's Garage

Which code is going off?

30 or 41?
Old 10-13-2004, 10:24 AM   #9 (permalink)

600f3rider's Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by r62envy
Well, Try disconnecting the battery for 5 minutes, then hook it back up to clear the code off the ECU. That code could be impeding the fuel pump from kicking on, eventhough the sensor is showing correct voltage now (that its upright )

Kev
Battery was disconected for a week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ochlocracy
Which code is going off?

30 or 41?
Not really sure, i forgot the fault code. I dont have the bike right now. I think it was 41 but i'm not sure. I can check late on friday. Thinking it might be a messed up wire/tip over sensor or something? I just remember it was dia. code 8 and i was getting normal voltage for it being upright.

Old 10-13-2004, 12:21 PM   #10 (permalink)

C-YaR6's Garage

Well, I lowsided last Thursday and my bike had a fault code of 30 (Lean Angle Sensor) problem.

I didn't have to reset anything. Just stand the bike up and start it back up.

To clear the code, all you have to do is go into diagnostic mode and scroll to diagnostic #62 which records how many fault code is stored in diagnostic #61. While in diagnostic #62, turn the engine cut-off switch from off to on and back to off again.

I have a problem which is probably related to your. But on my bike, it starts fine and after a great run, it would die when I come to a slow down to turn or stop. Sometime it would start right backup but would not idle or other time, it require several press of the start button. Very frustrating.

2003 R6 - Devil SB2 Slip-on, Scotts Damper, Flush Mount Signal, Fender Eliminator
2002 325Ci - Front & Rear lip kit, 19" MVR Rims, Lowered, Upgraded In-dash DVD stereo system
C-YaR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement