2002 engine/idle problem : Yamaha R6 Forum: R6MessageNet : YZF-R6 Forums

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Yamaha YZF R6 Prices
Go Back   R6Messagenet.com > Yamaha YZF-R6 > R6 Maintenance & Technical

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2010, 04:59 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to SSjBroly09
SSjBroly09's Garage
Default 2002 engine/idle problem

--TLDR @ bottom--
I searched around and found posts similar, but nothing exactly like this.
So there I was, doing my normal 'get the bike ready for the season' stuff (yeah, it's late...I've been gone). I took the carbs off, cleaned them well, replaced the seals, synced them...nothing different that I haven't done for the past 8 years.
Bike didn't start right away...no problem, carbs are dry. Bike finally starts up, idle shoots way up then starts bouncing up and down from 3500-4000. If I turn the idle adjustment screw maybe 1/4 turn, nothing for about 5 secs then it either dies or shoots WAY up depending on which way I turn it. It won't start without the throttle being opened slightly unless I turn the idle screw back in...but then it bounces around again.
If I start it and keep the throttle open a bit, no matter where, it will continue to bounce up and down 500-750ish RPMs.
I changed the plugs, borrowed coils from a friend, ran seafoam through it. Removed the carbs and replaced them JUST to make sure everything was connected and seated properly.
That's a bit rambly, I know, but any help would be greatly appreciated!!

--TLDR--
Idle bounces around from 3500-400ish
Idle adjustment screw 'lags' then bike either dies or RPMs shoot up
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2010, 07:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
`99 R6 owner

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
txtornado's Garage

i was having a similar problem before sync the carbs. but now with this extreme heat my idle kicks up on a light stop, around 3k +. it was 100 + today!!!! did you check carb boots? the ones that fits on the intake ports. i have 2 of them with a little crack.
txtornado is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement