bypass ignition switch : Yamaha R6 Forum: R6MessageNet : YZF-R6 Forums

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Yamaha YZF R6 Prices
Go Back   R6Messagenet.com > Yamaha YZF-R6 > R6 Maintenance & Technical

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2009, 05:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Island Buoy's Garage
Default bypass ignition switch

Hi guys!
Need some help to install toggle switches to start an '06 R6. Bought it with no keys.

s.
Island Buoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2009, 09:39 PM   #2 (permalink)

HorsePower's Garage

Hey man, what's up? Look... I don't know you so don't take offense but, how and why would you get a bike without keys? I mean, think about that for just a minute and put yourself in my place as a forum reader. Did you steal the bike? I'm not saying you did but I gotta ask the question. This forum is to help the right people, not the wrong ones.

Once you go track, you don't go back!
Just say HELL NO to going ghetto!
HorsePower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 10:38 PM   #3 (permalink)

DirtBikeGy's Garage

Agree.
DirtBikeGy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 10:56 PM   #4 (permalink)

Island Buoy's Garage

no offense taken. I bought the bike from a salvage yard as an abandoned vehicle. I had my insurance company check the rcmp website to see if it was stolen, and have had the local dealer (where it was bought) check to see if the bike was hot. I'm not sure why the dude walked away from it as it's not that badly damaged, but it's definately not hot. i've seen other ads on here where people are talking about buying bikes with no ignitions/ keys. did you send them the same email?
Old 01-13-2009, 11:05 PM   #5 (permalink)

Island Buoy's Garage

I should mention i'm trying to fire it up to see if it runs well enough to fix up. dealer says i need a whole new ignition switch, key, and computer ($1500.00 in parts. ) Trying to find a cheaper alternative until i know if it's going to end up back at the junk yard. Which is why i'm asking for help
Old 01-14-2009, 12:32 PM   #6 (permalink)

HorsePower's Garage

i've seen other ads on here where people are talking about buying bikes with no ignitions/ keys. did you send them the same email?

As a matter of fact, YES. I most certainly have posted such a reply in the past. And you know what happened? The guy NEVER answered me. Surely you can understand the suspicion. If I can find the post, I'll re-post it. Anyway, I have to say that I really don't know how to hot wire these things. I would imagine there is a way that involves needing a wiring diagram but for the most part, the new ignition would be the way to go despite the cost as installing a toggle gives you zero security.
HorsePower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 02:15 PM   #7 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
natedogg624's Garage

unless you are a racer... then its perfect!

its really not that hard to do.

That being said, anybody with a reasonable minute sense of engineering or a little brain power can figure it out. so im sure you'll figure it out...

i can almost promise you, with this being your VERY FIRST POST, no body who hasn't attempted to steal one that knows how to do it will tell you.

however your best shot is to find someone on this site who has stolen one and bypassed it.

btw the 06's had problems. find another year, preferably with keys.
natedogg624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 04:20 AM   #8 (permalink)

Island Buoy's Garage

Well, thanks for being straight up. I appreciate it. btw, i did not add the link to the insurance companies, not sure why that happened.
Anyhow, the local shop has it, and yes it looks like a new ignition. **sigh** . The '06 had problems...? My last bike was a GpZ turbo.
Old 01-21-2009, 05:55 AM   #9 (permalink)
www.frontiercycle.com

jebova2301's Garage

dont take offense to this, but your story just seems a bit sketchy. im not going to call you a thief, because for all i know, you may be the most honest person in the world. the thing that gets me is that you say you bought the bike as an abandoned vehicle from a salvage yard. the first thing is, if it was an abandoned vehicle, that would have been at an impound lot. second, if the salvage yard would have bought the bike from the impound lot, it obviously has a salvage title. that means it would need to be inspected first, before it could be rode on streets. next, if the salvage yard bought it from the impound lot, they would have the keys to match the ignition in case someone wanted to by the ignition/gas cap/rear lock off the bike.

and then my last question...why didnt you just buy a bike with keys? hell...they are dirt cheap right now with it being the winter.
jebova2301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 07:54 PM   #10 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
grayR6's Garage

i know how went to mmi should i expose it im actually in the same position i lost my last key last night going to pick up a 40 oz riding a peddle kids bike i was here to inquire on the lock mechanism cause i dont want to break it agressively wich is by just kicking it.lock mech technique anyone?
grayR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement