transmission repair question? : Yamaha R6 Forum: R6MessageNet : YZF-R6 Forums

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Yamaha YZF R6 Prices
Go Back   R6Messagenet.com > Yamaha YZF-R6 > R6 Maintenance & Technical

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2008, 03:29 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
bjpell's Garage
Default transmission repair question?

I have the motor out on my 99 to do a swap with an 05. But, now I see that the clutch has to come out in order to get to the trans out, and I was supposed to take the clutch out first before removing it from the frame... So, what do I do to get the clutch apart without putting it back in the frame to re attach it to the chain on the front sprocket? Anyone here ever done this too? or am I the first noob to f-this up.

Second, what else should I replace inside the motor? I was planning on the following:
  1. oils seal for front sprocket on drive shaft.
  2. cam chain tensioner
  3. sparkplugs
  4. drive shaft bearing?

Third, is $400 labor and 50 for parts (gaskets) a good deal to have a race shop do the rest of the work as a bench job and then have me put it back in the frame? I was considering this because they would now have to screw with the clutch(ha ha!) and they have experience with tranny work.

Lastly, has anyone here done this that I could call/write if I have questions and continue to tear it apart????

Thanks.

-=ben
bjpell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2008, 01:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
Garage Queen R6

Feedback Score: 24 reviews
powerban's Garage

Motion pro makes a clutch holding tool. You can probably use one of those. If you're already got the motor out, then you're 1/2 done with the job. No use paying $400 for something that can be done yourself. Unless you feel you arent tool savy. Follow the manual and make sure you got everything torqued to specs.
powerban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 04:06 AM   #3 (permalink)

Deimos's Garage

You can actually make the tool that keeps the clutch from turning.

At least thats what I did.

I got a strip of 1 inch wide steel (that you can get at lowes or home depot) , cut it in half, and bend the ends of it then drill a hole and put a bolt through.

This will keep the clutch from turning.

The haynes manual gave me the idea and they show a picture of it in the book.

You shouldnt need to replace the tensioner but its up to you.

If you are cheap like me and are interested in making the tool yourself I will take a pic of it if you like.
Deimos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 07:07 PM   #4 (permalink)

bjpell's Garage

Honestly guys, I have a poll barn with a full size air compressor and two sets of mechanics tools; mine and my little brothers. I have at least two of everything that I would need to do the job... And a bunch of fun speciality tools like a full size hydrolic bearing press and tig,mig, arch welding.

My MAIN REASON is that I have 19 credits in school right now and two labs. I start an accelerated program at another private university two weeks after I graduate here and time is short (one month from now). In this two weeks I have to move, and fix the bike which sits apart with the motor on the concrete. Once I leave the bike will sit for over 1.5 years apart (if not finished and I will have nothing to ride) until I graduate and then my wife as my grad present is getting me a new bike! I was going to use the refund from uncle same to have the work done and it was no loss of cash to me.

We work slow because time is never an issue for us. It took us 6 beers each to take the motor out (6hrs). We often take 2x longer then expected to do a job but have yet to break something or f something up. I think it only supposed to take about 3 hours for a pro.

How long should it take it to get the motor apart and then drop in the 05' parts and put her back together? Any ideas? If the hard part is already done then it would be foolish to bring it in. I'm afraid that the trans parts will need to be lined up or "set" to the right position and I'll screw it up by my ignorance. All I have is the pdf version of the manual I got off this site about 7 years ago when my old log on worked, I don't know if it had good instructions on this or not. Sometimes the after market manuals are better.

Thanks for your ideas about the clutch. My little bro said that we could get it off with the pneumatics no problem. I was kinda skeptical.

Thanks for your reply's, I due appreciate it

-=ben
bjpell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement