how do you remove a broken bearing race? : Yamaha R6 Forum: R6MessageNet : YZF-R6 Forums

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Yamaha YZF R6 Prices
Go Back   R6Messagenet.com > Yamaha YZF-R6 > R6 Maintenance & Technical

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2007, 03:17 AM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
xswimordiex's Garage
Default how do you remove a broken bearing race?

well i was trying to get the bearing out of my rear wheel (not the sealed one, the spline one) and the inside of it shattered out into a bunch of pieces, leaving me with a outer race still stuck in the wheel. it's completely flush against the inside of the wheel and i cant get a bearing puller inbetween....suggestions?
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2007, 03:20 AM   #2 (permalink)
Ill hit it 3 times

Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to The Raven
The Raven's Garage

pics?

http://www.cafepress.com/ravenr6
The Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 03:24 AM   #3 (permalink)

xswimordiex's Garage

sure hold on...
Old 02-28-2007, 03:36 AM   #4 (permalink)

xswimordiex's Garage

ok here's what i'm working with...

any attempts with screwdrivers or punches have not worked, they just hurt the wheel.
Old 02-28-2007, 01:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
JAOOREEAARB!!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to AwwsChwA
AwwsChwA's Garage

I've had this happen on a couple vehicles. I recommend a dremel tool with a small cutting head on it (not one of the big round grinding stones, use a metal cutter). You will likely go thru two or three of the cutting heads since the bearing race is very hard steel. Be very careful and go slowly, the cutting head will cut into the aluminum wheel much more easily than the steel.

Cut a notch into the bearing race and slowly work toward its outer edge. Once you're almost thru it, stop cutting and try to punch it out from the back again. When the notch is deep enough, the race will break and you can pull it out with pliers.

When you're installing the new race, first freeze the bearing race for a couple of hours. Heat the wheel surface with a small torch to expand the mounting ring. Quickly drop the frozen (contracted) race into the ring and it should make things much easier to press into place.

*edit* oh, and definitely wear eye and face protection!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaha R6
Can we please start WW3 already i am sick of this shit.
AwwsChwA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 04:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
Sperm Bank Loan Officer

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to bulldogr6 Send a message via AIM to bulldogr6 Send a message via MSN to bulldogr6
bulldogr6's Garage

A long drift punch from the other side. Or like above cut a notch in in with a sawzall and crack it.

bulldogr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 07:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
JAOOREEAARB!!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to AwwsChwA
AwwsChwA's Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogr6
A long drift punch from the other side. Or like above cut a notch in in with a sawzall and crack it.
haha...DON'T use a sawzall, I think that's a bit extreme and a bit on the large side for this job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaha R6
Can we please start WW3 already i am sick of this shit.
AwwsChwA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 07:06 PM   #8 (permalink)
2004 Blue R6

Feedback Score: 20 reviews
aceautomotivemike's Garage

From the picture it looks like a tool called a blind puller would work.If all else fails.

Ebay ID wwwmikesr6com
aceautomotivemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 09:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
Flyin Hawaiian

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
1s1ks1x's Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwwsChwA
I've had this happen on a couple vehicles. I recommend a dremel tool with a small cutting head on it (not one of the big round grinding stones, use a metal cutter). You will likely go thru two or three of the cutting heads since the bearing race is very hard steel. Be very careful and go slowly, the cutting head will cut into the aluminum wheel much more easily than the steel.

Cut a notch into the bearing race and slowly work toward its outer edge. Once you're almost thru it, stop cutting and try to punch it out from the back again. When the notch is deep enough, the race will break and you can pull it out with pliers.

When you're installing the new race, first freeze the bearing race for a couple of hours. Heat the wheel surface with a small torch to expand the mounting ring. Quickly drop the frozen (contracted) race into the ring and it should make things much easier to press into place.

*edit* oh, and definitely wear eye and face protection!
+1 this is how I've done this as well

I keep a close eye on my pets, cause they make most of their moves off instinct and sense, It goes eat,sleep,fuck and selfdefense so straight you can set your clocks and place bets
1s1ks1x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 11:21 PM   #10 (permalink)

xswimordiex's Garage

good advise awwschwa, i'll definitely give that a shot, gotta go pick up some cutting disks while the wheels are getting powdercoated and use the freeze trick when i get em back....and i have been wearing eye protection...i've had some projectiles scare the shit out of me before, i always wear em now.
Advertisement