Headlight won't turn on!!! Electrical problem - R6Messagenet.com
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-24-2006, 12:17 AM Thread Starter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Headlight won't turn on!!! Electrical problem

First off, I'm not a motorcycle buff by any means. I bought a downed bike and now have to deal with replacing and fixing parts. So here's my problem. I have an 03 Yamaha R6 that when I turn the ignition to ON, my headlights won't turn on. My bulbs are good, so I turned to my owners manual to check out the electrical wiring. Everything seemed good while troubleshooting until I tried to check the Dimmer Switch. I couldn't find a harness with just the Yellow and Red/Yellow wires coming from them, but I did find another harness that has 9 wires coming from it. The bottom has R/Y, Br/W, Nothing, Y, Gy. And the top has Br, B/G, B, L/G, Ch. I don't know if this is the harness the manual is talking about, but I was able to find the Y & R/Y wires there so I could check the continuity of the wires for the dimmer switch. When I checked it my continuity tester only showed a dim light, not a bright light like usual. I don't know what this means, but it can't be good.

Next I went to my Headlight Relays to check them out. The Headlight Relay (ON/OFF) seemed like it was working correctly, there was continuity between R/Y & B/L, and no continuity for L/B & Y/W. So then I went to my Headlight Relay (Dimmer). I checked the continuity of Y/B with the High Beams on and there was continuity there. And then I checked the continuity of B/L & B/Y with the low beams on and there was nothing. I thought there was supposed to be a continuity for the low beams with these wires, but i couldn't find any continuity.

The next thing I did was some fiddling around with the continuity tester and found out that if I touch the Y/W wire from the ON/OFF relay to the Y wire from the Dimmer relay I was able to turn on my lights. But when I had the low beams on only the Left Headlight (Left when sitting on the bike) would turn on. And when the high beams were on, both headlights would turn on, but only if i was making a connection between those two wires. Now when I took off my Dimmer relay off and tried making a connection between the wires, only the Left Headlight would turn on no matter if it were on High or Low Beams.

My question is what the hell does all of this mean? Do I need to replace my Dimmer Relay? Do I need to replace my Dimmer switch? Is there just a problem with my wires and they need to be replaced? I have no clue what I need to do or buy to fix this, so any help at all would be great. I'm sorry about the long post, but I wanted to be thorough so you guys knew what I was dealing with.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-24-2006, 06:01 PM
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Normally on an 03 only the left light is on on lowbeams and both are on on highbeam

You headlights won't turn on without starting the engine either, just turning on the ignition won't work. Are you trying to get them to come on without starting the engine?

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 01:10 AM Thread Starter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Wait, the engine has to be on in order for the lights to turn on? I didn't know that... Thought that most motorcycles just had there lights turn on as soon as the ignition is turned to the on position. I am waiting on a fuel pump in order to get my bike running, so i was checking on electrical to see if I had any problems with that. But if you say the engine needs to be on in order for the lights to turn on... seems like the easiest fix that I've ever had to deal with. Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the R6Messagenet.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.