Headlight won't turn on!!! Electrical problem : Yamaha R6 Forum: R6MessageNet : YZF-R6 Forums

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Yamaha YZF R6 Prices
Go Back   R6Messagenet.com > Yamaha YZF-R6 > R6 Maintenance & Technical

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2006, 11:17 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to limmytibs
limmytibs's Garage
Default Headlight won't turn on!!! Electrical problem

First off, I'm not a motorcycle buff by any means. I bought a downed bike and now have to deal with replacing and fixing parts. So here's my problem. I have an 03 Yamaha R6 that when I turn the ignition to ON, my headlights won't turn on. My bulbs are good, so I turned to my owners manual to check out the electrical wiring. Everything seemed good while troubleshooting until I tried to check the Dimmer Switch. I couldn't find a harness with just the Yellow and Red/Yellow wires coming from them, but I did find another harness that has 9 wires coming from it. The bottom has R/Y, Br/W, Nothing, Y, Gy. And the top has Br, B/G, B, L/G, Ch. I don't know if this is the harness the manual is talking about, but I was able to find the Y & R/Y wires there so I could check the continuity of the wires for the dimmer switch. When I checked it my continuity tester only showed a dim light, not a bright light like usual. I don't know what this means, but it can't be good.

Next I went to my Headlight Relays to check them out. The Headlight Relay (ON/OFF) seemed like it was working correctly, there was continuity between R/Y & B/L, and no continuity for L/B & Y/W. So then I went to my Headlight Relay (Dimmer). I checked the continuity of Y/B with the High Beams on and there was continuity there. And then I checked the continuity of B/L & B/Y with the low beams on and there was nothing. I thought there was supposed to be a continuity for the low beams with these wires, but i couldn't find any continuity.

The next thing I did was some fiddling around with the continuity tester and found out that if I touch the Y/W wire from the ON/OFF relay to the Y wire from the Dimmer relay I was able to turn on my lights. But when I had the low beams on only the Left Headlight (Left when sitting on the bike) would turn on. And when the high beams were on, both headlights would turn on, but only if i was making a connection between those two wires. Now when I took off my Dimmer relay off and tried making a connection between the wires, only the Left Headlight would turn on no matter if it were on High or Low Beams.

My question is what the hell does all of this mean? Do I need to replace my Dimmer Relay? Do I need to replace my Dimmer switch? Is there just a problem with my wires and they need to be replaced? I have no clue what I need to do or buy to fix this, so any help at all would be great. I'm sorry about the long post, but I wanted to be thorough so you guys knew what I was dealing with.
limmytibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2006, 05:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
ARE OH IN IN WHY

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to cannonball Send a message via MSN to cannonball
cannonball's Garage

Normally on an 03 only the left light is on on lowbeams and both are on on highbeam

You headlights won't turn on without starting the engine either, just turning on the ignition won't work. Are you trying to get them to come on without starting the engine?
Old 09-25-2006, 12:10 AM   #3 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to limmytibs
limmytibs's Garage

Wait, the engine has to be on in order for the lights to turn on? I didn't know that... Thought that most motorcycles just had there lights turn on as soon as the ignition is turned to the on position. I am waiting on a fuel pump in order to get my bike running, so i was checking on electrical to see if I had any problems with that. But if you say the engine needs to be on in order for the lights to turn on... seems like the easiest fix that I've ever had to deal with. Thanks for the help.
limmytibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement