How-to: Sync your throttle bodies or carburetors : Yamaha R6 Forum: R6MessageNet : YZF-R6 Forums

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Yamaha YZF R6 Prices
Go Back   R6Messagenet.com > Yamaha YZF-R6 > R6 How-To Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2004, 10:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
Self Proclaimed Genius

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ochlocracy Send a message via MSN to ochlocracy Send a message via Yahoo to ochlocracy Send a message via Skype™ to ochlocracy
ochlocracy's Garage
Default How-to: Sync your throttle bodies or carburetors

If you are experiencing any kind of vibration what so ever in your clip-ons, foot pegs, balls then you carburetors/throttle bodies may need to be synced.

This process is essentially the same no matter what year bike you have. I did choose to do this on my í04 though since it is fuel injected and wellÖ thatís the way itís going to be.

For those of you with a carbureted R6, you have is easy, it is possible to sync you carbs without removing your tank or your air box, just look real hard for your adjusting screws and you can get to them. For those of us with a í03 and newer well you donít have it so easy; we have to remove our air box to get to the adjusting screws.

Things you will need:
Tool girl (optional, as she left Ĺ way through as she always does)
An almost empty tank of gas (optional)
5mm hex (allen) key
4mm hex (allen) hey
10mm socket/wrench
pliers (optional)
oh and most important a sync tool.

With the mention of a sync tool, let me take some time to plug the John Morgan Carbtune (http://www.carbtune.com). Maybe he will see this and send me some free tools. This is a great sync tool if you need one, I love it you donít have to mess around with mercury and it cost less then a $300-$600 digital one (those are so cool!) head over to his site to read more about it. It cost about $100 US; it comes from the UK and takes about a week to arrive.

If you think $100 is a lot for the tool, then ask your dealer how much they charge to do a sync and you will see that you make it up in the first use. Also I charge my friends $40 to do it for them so I easily made it up.

If youíre still bitching about the price then look at a mercury sync tool. They are just as easy to use but you have the fear of sucking mercury in your engine. (Not likely to happen unless you rip open the throttle Ďaccidentallyí).

Kneedraggers.com has one for about $40

http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/56-MP-15

First start by removing your seat, 5mm hex.

Then your tank bolts, 5mm hex.

Now some of you donít know about this, but should. There is no need to prop your tank up with a piece of wood, hammer etc. (As long as you donít have more than Ĺ a tank off gas) If you look at the hinge on you tank you will notice these (look at photo.)

Remove the hinge bolt (10mm) and then prop up the tank so the blue (or whatever color you bike is) tabs rotate behind the subframe and then replace the hinge bolt. Your tank is now propped up on its own.

If you have a carbureted model you can go straight to locating your vacuum hoses. If you have FI then you are going to need to remove your air box.

Remove the 10mm bolt up top and the two ram hose hoses (Phillips)

Then you can attempt to remove the 4 hex bolts (4mm) that attach the air box to the throttle bodies or you can just yank it off. Then remove all vacuum hoses attached to the air box, there are 4 keep track of what goes where.

Now we can locate the vacuum hoses, there are 4, one fore each throttle body/cylinder.

You will notice that cylinder 1 is connected to 3 and 2 is connect to 4; I donít know why, this has nothing to do with the operation of the bike, because each hose is blocked off by the black plugs.

Remove the 2 plugs and set them aside.

Then connect your sync tool to the appropriate hoses.

Now locate your adjusting screws if your have a carbureted model you should be able to see them just beneath the air box (if you havenít removed it) with the aid of a flashlight. FI models, they are located right on top.

Now syncing your bodies/carbs is a give and take relationship. Think of your 4 bodies/carbs in 2 pairs. 1 & 2 are a pair and 3 & 4 are a pair. When you adjust the screw between 1 & 2 (labeled 1 in photo) you are bringing the butterfly valves of the bodies/carbs into alignment.

For instance if you were to assign valves to each it would be as follows:

Cylinder 1: 5
Cylinder 2: 3

So you will take from cylinder 1 and give to cylinder 2 until both of them equal 4.

Still with me? I hope so

You can see this on your sync tool, as you adjust screw 1 on your bodies/carbs you will see bar 1 and 2 fluctuate, as bar 1 gets smaller bar 2 will get larger.

Use screw 2 to adjust cylinders 3 & 4, then use screw 3 to bring the two sets ([1 & 2] and [3 & 4]) together.

The goal is to have all 4 bars at the same level.

This is what mine looked like (I synced them not to long ago) But you can see cylinder 1 is a bit off from the rest. This isnít a lot (at all) but this will cause your left hand to go numb if you ride for a good distance.

You can now start you bike up and have at it, if you are doing this on a í03 or newer you are going to have a code 22 displayed, that's because you disconnected your MAS on your air box, donít worry about it.

If you read the manual it suggests setting your idle and running at operating temp etc. Your idle should be fine you donít have to worry about setting it. It has no affect on the reading (in a way). Do have your bike running at operating temp though, about 178*.

Here are some fine tuning techniques.
Donít do these if you are using a mercury sync tool, unless you are extremely careful. Try opening up the throttle and adjusting while you have air entering at a higher rate of speed. This may require 2 people, one to hold the throttle and one to adjust. This makes a world of difference in the smoothness of the engine. Who cares about how level they are at idle, I want the same amount of air entering while I have the throttle ripped open to 10 grand! Blip the throttle a couple of times and watch your sync tool you will notice some differences, try adjusting while you have someone holding the throttle to about 4-5 grand.

Carb. models are good to go after this.

Now for some observations on the FI models you may want to consider or look into. If you have ever opened up the air box on a stock model, you will notice that cylinders 2 & 3 have some larger stacks that may restrict some air flow.

Now if I sync my bodies at idle then hold the throttle open to 5k cylinders 2 & 3 have more vacuum pressure entering without the air box on (a good amount more too). This tells me that cylinders 2 & 3 bodies may have a different springs in the slide stops then 1 & 4.

So those of you with v-stacks may want to tune around this by holding the throttle open while syncing. If you have v-stacks and slide stops then you shouldn't be affected.

I havenít done anything else to test this theory but at the time it is the only thing I am going on. If you bike is stock like mine do the sync at idle and hope the stock air box equalizes it. When I get some more time I will look into this and get some readings with the air box on etc.

© Copyright 2005 - R6Messagenet.com - All rights reserved.

Last edited by ochlocracy; 10-15-2004 at 08:00 PM.
ochlocracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2004, 08:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Habitual Linestepper

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cesario's Garage
Default re:

you keep setting them up och, i'll keep knocking them down. I got my plugs/coils/filter done flawlessly thanks to your writeups. I'm sure this will be just as pleasant.

myspace.com/cesario
Cesario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 11:39 PM   #3 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to blueblur Send a message via AIM to blueblur
blueblur's Garage

Once again

Great write up. Now I just need some $$ to buy that thing. I'm going on 10k and would like to do this.

Oh, and where's the tool girl? She didn't leave ya again did she
Old 08-22-2004, 12:39 AM   #4 (permalink)
Self Proclaimed Genius

Send a message via AIM to ochlocracy Send a message via MSN to ochlocracy Send a message via Yahoo to ochlocracy Send a message via Skype™ to ochlocracy
ochlocracy's Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueblur
Oh, and where's the tool girl? She didn't leave ya again did she
Oh yes she did, she is pretty pissed at me right now too. I spend to much time on here and not enough on her.
Old 08-22-2004, 04:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
JOY BRINGER

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Send a message via AIM to TRAVR6 Send a message via Yahoo to TRAVR6
TRAVR6's Garage

Bring her to the gap when you come. We can take turns on her if you want so you can ride all you want without getting yelled at. See how good of friends we are to you? lol J/K man

So are you fuckers coming or what?
TRAVR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 06:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
TwistedMods.com

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SpLiZaaT Send a message via MSN to SpLiZaaT
SpLiZaaT's Garage

Great writeup! Is it as necessary on FI to synch throttle bodies as it is on Carb to synch the carbs??

I am on 12,500 miles on my 2003 and think it's about time for some work
Old 08-23-2004, 09:47 AM   #7 (permalink)

blueblur's Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpLiZaaT
Great writeup! Is it as necessary on FI to synch throttle bodies as it is on Carb to synch the carbs??

I am on 12,500 miles on my 2003 and think it's about time for some work
I have a little less than 10k miles on my 03 and I want to do it just to make sure its right. It won't hurt anything and the manual says to check the synchroniztion every 4,000 miles.
Old 08-23-2004, 12:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
Self Proclaimed Genius

ochlocracy's Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueblur
The manual says to check the synchroniztion every 4,000 miles.
I do it every oil change. They are never drastically off, but are always.
Old 08-23-2004, 01:50 PM   #9 (permalink)

blueblur's Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ochlocracy
I do it every oil change. They are never drastically off, but are always.
Whoa, I need to order that tool then. Can you notice a difference if they're way off and you sync them?
Old 08-23-2004, 02:08 PM   #10 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to Witold
Witold's Garage

Very nice!

This is perfect timing too, as I was asking how to do this the other day. Maybe I can get some locals to go half on the expense of the sync tool.
Witold is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement