How-to: Install a Acumen DG8 Gear Indicator : Yamaha R6 Forum: R6MessageNet : YZF-R6 Forums

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Yamaha YZF R6 Prices
Go Back   R6Messagenet.com > Yamaha YZF-R6 > R6 How-To Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2004, 03:32 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to blueblur Send a message via AIM to blueblur
blueblur's Garage
Default How-to: Install a Acumen DG8 Gear Indicator

Just moving this thread over from the mods section.

Got my DG8 installed today and took some pics to do a How To. I bought it from www.riderstation.com and I also bought the harness for an easier install. Everything was straight forward and the hardest part was running the wires. Shipping was very fast. I got the red one just because the back light on the OEM guages is red. I looked at the blueguages site but I didn't like the way the blue one looked so I'm gonna stick with the red.

What you need to do to prepare the install is take off the seat and prop up the tank with some sort of rod. I used a long flat head screw drive because theres a perfect spot for the head to go under the tank and my Scotts damper mounting kit gives you a nice spot for the handle to sit. You'll also have to take off at least the right upper fairing and I took of the side insert to make things easier routing the wires. To do this you'll also need to take off the right ram air cover and the black plastic peice thats held on by pop rivets. I also took off the nose just so I could make sure I ran the wires the way the other wires were already so it looks nice and clean. And of course the windscreen needs to come off.

The harness helped out a lot because all you had to do was plug in the speedo sensor, guage harness, and then the indicator itself; no cutting or sodering.

Heres a pic of what one end of the harness looks like. The cool thing about this is that it has the harness for both the gear indicator and the shift light, but since the 03-04 already has a shift light just wrap it up in electrical tape and put it aside.

This is a pic of the DG8 itself, it just plugs right into the harness.

You need to unplug the harness thats going into the guages and install the new harness. Then plug the original guage harness into the new one.

This is when I took off the nose to run the wires the same route as the current wires. I ran mine out the right, under the part of the headlight where you change the bulb, and followed the current wires underneath the frame.

This is where I used a bent up coat hanger to get the wires from underneath the frame to in front of the air box. From there I routed it under some hoses to the spot the side insert covers, then back to the speed sensor harness.

Heres a pic of the harness that intercepts the speedo harness.

All you have to do here is unplug the speedo harness and plug each part of it into the DG8 harness. And then you can put the tank back down.

I mounted it on the left part of the fairing stay. They give you some really heavy duty velcro so you don't need to worry about it falling off. As you can see its not blocking any of the other guages.

I just routed the wire behind the guage cluster and through the hole that the harness for the guages goes through.

Heres another pic of what everything looks like connected. You can see why I decided to paint the lower part of the windscreen.

Before you velcro the indicator to the fairing stay you might want to program it first. Again, the directions were very easy and straight forward but you need to use this little pin they give you to push a button in the back of the unit to tell it how many gears etc. so it works correctly.

I took it out for a spin and everything works the way its supposed to. I was a little nervous the speedo would act up since I have a speedo healer but it looks the the harness didn't interrupt anything.

If anyone has any questions post em up.

© Copyright 2005 - R6Messagenet.com - All rights reserved.

Last edited by blueblur; 05-31-2004 at 04:04 PM.
blueblur is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2004, 03:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Sweep the leg

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to HooliganR6 Send a message via AIM to HooliganR6
HooliganR6's Garage

Very good write up!
Thanks man
Old 05-31-2004, 04:03 PM   #3 (permalink)

blueblur's Garage

Thanks. Deezul and I have some more coming, I just need my parts to come in
Old 05-31-2004, 05:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
-

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
nd4spd's Garage

Thanks Blur! I used this as a reference for mine. Easy but always nice to have a pic or two to help. Good Job!
nd4spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 01:44 AM   #5 (permalink)
CloWnY RaCiN

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to MrCLoWnY Send a message via AIM to MrCLoWnY Send a message via Yahoo to MrCLoWnY
MrCLoWnY's Garage

their website statest that you need to program it either riding it or on a stand.. Can you explain this process please?
MrCLoWnY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 07:48 AM   #6 (permalink)

blueblur's Garage

Since I had a stand I just used that but its pretty easy. It tells you how to do it in the directions but off the top of my head I think it goes like this: Theres a little pin you use to push a button in on the back of the display, you push and hold that in until it starts blinking. Then push it in 6 times to tell it you have 6 gears. (Do that with the key on and the engine off) Now start the bike. If you don't have a stand make sure you have an empty road to ride on so you can pay attention to the display; you'll need to use all 6 gears to program it.

Put it in first gear and you can either let it idle or slowly give it some gas. I think you want to change your rev's but the directions say its ok to let it idle. All you're doing here is teaching the indicator your gear ratios. After a few seconds a 2 will start blinking. Shift into neutral, let the clutch out and then shift into 2nd. Slowly give it some gas until a 3 blinks. Then shift into 3rd gear etc. until you get into 6th.

You can also change how you want the indicator to display neutral but just pressing the button in when your not in programing mode. You can make it a large 'n' a small 'n' or a 0.

Its pretty easy once you start doing it and a great mod IMO.
Old 09-02-2004, 03:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
TwistedMods.com

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SpLiZaaT Send a message via MSN to SpLiZaaT
SpLiZaaT's Garage

Swqeet writeup -- i'd love agroup buy on those!!!!! someone?
Old 09-02-2004, 05:46 PM   #8 (permalink)

blueblur's Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpLiZaaT
Swqeet writeup -- i'd love agroup buy on those!!!!! someone?
Post something in the group buy section and maybe someone will step up and try to get one rollin.
Old 09-18-2004, 02:19 PM   #9 (permalink)
Gossamer has MOJO!!!

Feedback Score: 34 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to Big Deezul Send a message via AIM to Big Deezul
Big Deezul's Garage

the group buy on a part that cheap will most likely not get off the ground. The plug and play if for the 03-04 only and there is a hard wire version for the 99-02. I have the digi on my 03 and I like the larger read out better and it is a little quicker. I have the acumen on my 02 (though mine is hard wire) acumen is the only brand with plug and play right now.
Big Deezul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 08:20 PM   #10 (permalink)
R6MN Traitor

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Cever Send a message via MSN to Cever Send a message via Yahoo to Cever
Cever's Garage

Will a speedo healer interfer with this since it connects into the same system. Damn I hope not I really want both.
Cever is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement