Tune up questions : Yamaha R6 Forum: R6MessageNet : YZF-R6 Forums

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Yamaha YZF R6 Prices
Go Back   R6Messagenet.com > Yamaha YZF-R6 > R6 General

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2008, 10:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
mdq

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
mdq's Garage
Default Tune up questions

I just got my 2004 R6 and I was thinking of doing a tune up a sort of a baseline for maintenance. I bought the Clymer book and had planned on getting to work tomorrow, so I started reading tonight. Im no mechanic and I know that, but Im fairly smart and I figured I could muddle my way through this, but this book makes it sound fairly intricate. Spark plug clearances, removing the gas tank, engine timing etc sounds like a lot to deal with. I was thinking change the oil, oil filter, new plus and maybe an air filter.

Does everyone go through all these steps every time, or are there shortcuts?

Am I over my head? Should I just take this to a repair shop or is it something most can do without too much difficulty? And if I do go to a repair shop how much should I expect to pay?
mdq is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2008, 04:20 AM   #2 (permalink)
Garage Queen R6

Feedback Score: 24 reviews
powerban's Garage

You'll be fine. Dont worry about engine timing. There's not much to adjust. When i do full tune ups on customer bikes I do: Oil, oil filter, spark plugs, clean or replace air filter, flush out brake fluid, check tire pressure, adjust chain slack, clean and lube chain, adjust throttle and clutch cable freeplay, check brake pads, check coolant level, adjust idle. Might seem like a lot but its not. its good to get in the rhythm soon. OH yeah, dont worry about the fuel filter, its inside the gas tank and cant be replaced. If you have proper tools, you can do a throttle body sync as well.
powerban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 10:47 AM   #3 (permalink)
Self-Proclaimed Noob

smashweights's Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerban View Post
When i do full tune ups on customer bikes I do: Oil, oil filter, spark plugs, clean or replace air filter, flush out brake fluid, check tire pressure, adjust chain slack, clean and lube chain, adjust throttle and clutch cable freeplay, check brake pads, check coolant level, adjust idle.
+1

I just bought an '04 in November and all of this is stuff I've been able to do relatively problem free. I say that because I kept effing up my brake bleeds by not watching the reservoir. I've got no mechanical experience either, so just do these by the book and it's really not difficult.
smashweights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 10:52 AM   #4 (permalink)
h to the izzo

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to cashmoneyflo
cashmoneyflo's Garage

flush ur coolant and replace it
cashmoneyflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 04:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
mdq

mdq's Garage
Default Thanks

Ok so I'll give it a try, Friday is my day off stay tuned. If I get stuck Ill definitely be posting

mdq is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement