whats the best kind of oil : Yamaha R6 Forum: R6MessageNet : YZF-R6 Forums

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Yamaha YZF R6 Prices
Go Back   R6Messagenet.com > Yamaha YZF-R6 > Oil and Lubrication

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2008, 09:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Jmerc's Garage
Default whats the best kind of oil

Just got a 06 yamaha yzf R6 not to long ago and i want to change the oil and was just wondering what would be the best kind of oil to put in for good lubrication
Jmerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2008, 01:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Site Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to Amsoil Dealer Group
Amsoil Dealer Group's Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmerc View Post
Just got a 06 yamaha yzf R6 not to long ago and i want to change the oil and was just wondering what would be the best kind of oil to put in for good lubrication
If you don't know much about oil it's always best to use what the OEM recommends in your manual. When you have the time do some research to find better oils than the OEM. In doing research be careful not to listen to marketing hype. Most manufactures will provide you with specifications on their oils and filters that you can use to compare. If you don't understand what some of the spec's mean then ask here and I will try and help you understand them.
george
ADG

Motorcycle Oil Study: http://www.bestoil4you.com/files/MC_Oil_Study.pdf

Gear Lube Study: http://www.bestoil4you.com/files/g2457GearLube.pdf
Amsoil Dealer Group is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 11:03 PM   #3 (permalink)

bretly's Garage
Default the best lubricant.

hi,
i am using yamaha gladiator.i am getting best performance from it.the best lubricant i am using is castrol crb.after i started using i am getting a best performance from by bike with respect to speed,running and engine sound.
and we should have frequent check-up of our bike after every one to two months.
================================================== =======

davison

New York Drug Treatment
bretly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 11:12 PM   #4 (permalink)

jonydepp's Garage

Yamaha is the best motorcycle company,I like it most.the lubrications are the fuel to the performence of the engine,so keep using the best lubricants to protect the engine and smooth the engine.
jonydepp

New York Drug Treatment
jonydepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 11:59 AM   #5 (permalink)

Oil Doc's Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bretly View Post
hi,
i am using yamaha gladiator.i am getting best performance from it.the best lubricant i am using is castrol crb.after i started using i am getting a best performance from by bike with respect to speed,running and engine sound.
and we should have frequent check-up of our bike after every one to two months.

davison

New York Drug Treatment
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonydepp View Post
Yamaha is the best motorcycle company,I like it most.the lubrications are the fuel to the performence of the engine,so keep using the best lubricants to protect the engine and smooth the engine.
jonydepp

New York Drug Treatment

Seeing that these appear to be the same person, I will just address as one...

I would like to see the ASTM Tests on the oils you are touting. Real Dyno Sheets, not Butt Dyno, AND Oil Analysis reports

Doc
Oil Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 09:48 AM   #6 (permalink)

raceface's Garage

Please do yourself a favor and check out AMS OIL it is the best ! ! And with bikes turning over 10k RPM's you need the best protection available.
raceface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 04:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
Red Bull R6

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
longbrake_00's Garage

I have always run amsoil in both my ninja, and my R6.
longbrake_00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 08:45 PM   #8 (permalink)
+44

+44's Garage

Strange ive never heard of most of the oils you USA guys are going on about? lol

Is based in the UK and many enthusiast in the know will recomomend Silkolene oils there expensive but one of the best if not the best, I allways go for full syn oils,I use Pro s in my BMW and change it every 3k

I just ordered - Silkolene PRO 4 Plus 5w-40 The Ultimate Full Synthetic Ester for my 2005 model R46 (r6)

Will have it changed round my tomz , and will let you guys know the results im not sure whats in there now last serivce was carried out by Yamaha main dealer, I presume they use a Fully syn based oil in a bike like the r6?

You cant go wrong with any of the well known manufacters top of the like fully syn oils tho castrol/mobil/motul/silkolene etc etc
+44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 06:18 PM   #9 (permalink)
+44

+44's Garage

Done 10 miles on new oil bike seems smoother,less noisy, gear changes ever so sligthly smoother

all good, was serviced 4k ago but i like to service any bike I just purchased to be sure.

So the usual thumbs up from me regarding Silkolenes best

PS: Picked up the latest Yamaha sales booklet thing today while picking up an oil filter and noticed on the back page it recommends silkolene oil and I look in the corner of the shop and see yamaha trying to flog off the own brand of oil?strange ,recommend a diff oil company while trying to sell your own?
+44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 11:38 PM   #10 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Brandon27's Garage

Yes! aaaanother oil thread!

youre going to get different answers from everybody, mine will be this:

I used to use Mobil 1 4t full synth and liked it but its expensive ($9 litre), just switched to Shell Rotella T and like it even more becasue it costs $12 a gallon, I will be sticking with it. oh and Mobil m-110 filters are high capacity (casue thats important) and fit a lot of R6's, 99-06 I think
Brandon27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement